Final task: A little bit about my drawing process

I will now give a quick introduction of how the comic came to be.

Scripting. Or "Scripting"

I did not make a proper script for the comic, since it felt more like a continuous rant. What I did do, however, is divide the text in sections involving different subject matters:
  1. Jones' introduction and history
  2. Jones' world view: The New World Order
  3. Jones' business model
  4. The Pizzagate
  5. Sandy Hook school shooting and defamation suits
  6. Recent developments and final words
With this basic structure, and my finished blogposts, it was easy to slap text onto Photoshop, and think what imagery to use.

Sketching and assembly


To save time, I decided to draw the entire comic in Photoshop. I drew few sketches with pencil, but decided to ease the process and do the sketching on Photoshop as well.

Since I needed a lot of pictures of Jones, I started by sketching different Alex Joneses in a separate PSD. I have to say, the essence of his look was really hard to capture: you think he has a fat face, but it's actually more of a square. And since there aren't a lot of neutral photos of him, I felt like he looked different in each picture. Regardless, I think I captured his spirit in the end. In hindsight I could have gone with a more cartoony look and made my own simplified version of him, but this was just not my vision.


These sketches were then easy to assemble with the text. I admit that, due to lack of time, I cut some corners on the assembly part, mixing together photos and my own sketches. I feel no remorse over this, it saved my mental health!

When the sketches were added to the image, I moved and scaled things around to find the right spots for everything. Digital age, baby! Imagine doing this by hand. Yeah, ugh.

Final lines and textures (and thoughts)


The next part was fairly straightforward: drawing the final lines over my sketches and the images. I usually draw with lots of hatching, but this time I decided to go for a more simplified look, as explained in my comic inspiration post.

The final touch was the addition of textures to the edges, to kind of bind things together. Not a lot of thought was put in this, the textures were pre-made. Badabim badabum!



At some point I felt the comic was going to look awful, since I didn't have time to pick a font, but in the end I think I actually like the look. It has a sort of underground comic zine look to it that I enjoy. I wish I could've spent more time thinking about the imagery and come up with more visual gags, but I'm still very proud of the gay frog.

So that's the process in a nutshell.

Also, no way are you getting a sketch, there's plenty in this already!

Comments